Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dr. Martin Luther King Essay

How do I believe that Dr. King’s vision impacted President Obama’s message to American students? I believe that his vision opened our President’s eyes and gave him ideas on what he needed to say to us. What did it teach me about my personal responsibility as an American School Aged Student? It taught me a lot about my responsibility as an American and just as a school student. President Obama said that we are the future. What does that mean to you? To me it means that what we do nowadays will determine what we are in the future. And what we are in the future will determine what our country will be like. Dr. King’s vision impacted my life, as it should have yours. I’m going to share with you my thought on his speech.
Dr. King said, “I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.” That means that not one person is of lesser value. You compare any two people in this country, which is more valuable? Neither. Does that surprise you? All men are created equal. If you go to New York and look as the streets, what do you notice? There are people from every race walking in and out of the most high-paying buildings. Everybody has a chance to do anything.
Dr. King also said, “I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character.” There are still people living here that won’t have anything to do with people from a different race. It breaks my heart to know that people are racists. There isn’t a difference between us! God created us equal. But most of this nation isn’t against people from different races and that’s what our whole world should be like.
Dr. King said, “I have a dream…where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.” Take a look around! Families who can’t have children of their own are adopting babies both black and white. They are families who don’t care what color of skin you have. Schools have a mix of kids, black and white and those kids are becoming best friends. When people say that blacks and whites don’t mix, they are blind!
When I grow up I want to make an impact like Dr. King did. This nation is growing in so many ways and someday when I have the chance I will share with the world what I think. I’m glad that we have Obama as President. He’s a great example to all mankind and we should all grow and strive to be more like him. My dream is that someday our country will have no racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment