Sunday, November 1, 2009

Visitor

I was reading a book when I looked up. There in the window I saw Travis. He was the most popular boy in school and everybody just adored him. It’s like he was a superstar or something. And for some reason, I wasn't surprised that he was standing outside my bedroom window tapping on the glass to get my attention. I should have been surprised because me, coming from the Jones family, is somebody who wouldn't be caught dead with someone that beautiful.His curly blond hair dangled in front of his emerald green eyes. Oh why did he have to be so perfect? I caught my breath and sighed when he waved me to come and meet him outside. Was this a joke? If I went outside was I going to be embarrassed for the rest of my life? I shut my book, not even marking what page I was on, and went out to the front room to let myself outside.
"Amber?" He came out from the dark and a warm smile came across his face. I took a moment letting this moment sink in.
"Travis?" His name smoothed over my tongue like hot melted butter on a fresh roll.
"I didn't know I was actually going to do this, but here it goes." He sighed and grabbed my wrist. "As you know Kate and I just broke up, and nobody knows why. I want you to hear this before it gets passed around the school, because once you tell somebody something it's like wildfire."
"Are you okay?" I muttered, still half amazed that he was on my front porch.
"Amber I broke up with her because I told her I wanted to see other people too. And that other people that I was talking about is you." My mouth fell open. "Greg said these exact words to me, 'The Jones' daughter is a fine young lady, are you sure you want to go messing around with her?' I wanted to punch him, because first of all, you're not fine, you're beautiful, and I wouldn't go messing around with you because I find you much too delicate for rough handling. I'm serious about you."
"Are you asking me out?" I was shocked more than anything.
"Yes, and I completely and totally understand if you say no, because I've been a jerk to you before."
"Travis before I answer I want you to know that I think that you are an amazingly good looking person, but I couldn't be caught dead in public with you. You're selfish and rude and obviously you have some problems. So, no I will not go out with you because I don't date jerks." I covered my mouth with my hand, had I really just said that to him?I pulled my hand from his tightening grip and marched inside to my safety. Who knew that boy's could be such losers.
I heard a barking close to my ears. I flinched and opened my eyes which were tightly shut. The clock read five o'clock in the morning. It'd been a nightmare, I had no worries. My brand new puppy wagged its tail and whimpered. It was time to let him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment